Saturday, November 10, 2012

Earthquake

Living in Tennessee, it is a very rare thing to feel an earthquake. I've known of at least two or three in my 32 years on earth.

I was sitting on the couch working on a Facebook page when I suddenly felt the couch shaking. My first thought was that one of the kids was behind the couch. Nope, both kids accounted for in front of me.

My next thought was the washing machine in the next room. It's been known to be thrown off balance when there are several pairs of jeans in the load and tends to vibrate the house.  I even got up to check and see if it was running (even though I remembered that it had stopped and that I had left the lid up on the washing machine to wait for the load in the dryer to finish so that I could change the loads out). Nope, not the washing machine.

By the time that I realized that it was an earthquake, it had stopped.... this is the strongest earthquake that I have ever felt in Tennessee. I did wake up in the middle of the night once, while visiting a friend in California, to things falling off the shelves and walls.


It was centered near Whitesburg, KY which is pretty far from Southeast TN. Reports are that people in Alabama and Georgia felt it too....
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment